This year’s White Privilege Conference will be in Kansas City, Missouri, April 28-30, 2017. FGC is offering discounts to all Friends. This conference has been attended by a large contingent of Quakers for a number of years. Marvin Barnes of Birmingham Meeting will be attending and has offered to serve as a resource person for new attenders. There will also be a Quaker Hospitality room at the conference and possible opportunities for local hospitality for traveling Friends.
What is the White Privilege Conference?
1. WPC is a conference that examines challenging concepts of privilege and oppression and offers solutions and team building strategies to work toward a more equitable world.
2. It is not a conference designed to attack, degrade or beat up on white folks.
3. It is not a conference designed to rally white supremacist groups.
4. WPC is a conference designed to examine issues of privilege beyond skin color. WPC is open to everyone and invites diverse perspectives to provide a comprehensive look at issues of privilege including: race, gender, sexuality, class, disability, etc. — the ways we all experience some form of privilege, and how we’re all affected by that privilege.
5. WPC attracts students, professionals, activists, parents, and community leaders/members from diverse perspectives. WPC welcomes folks with varying levels of experience addressing issues of diversity, cultural competency, and multiculturalism.
6. WPC is committed to a philosophy of “understanding, respecting and connecting.”
Who attends the WPC?
The conference is unique in its ability to bring together high school and college students, teachers, university faculty and higher education professionals, nonprofit staff, activists, social workers and counselors, healthcare workers, and members of the spiritual community and corporate arena. Annually, more than 1,500 attend from more than 35 states, Australia, Bermuda, Canada, and Germany.
Friends General Conference pre-registration for the White Privilege Conference is open. You must complete the Friends General Conference pre-registration form in order to receive the FGC group discount. Instructions for how to complete the whole registration process are provided on our pre-registration form. Additionally, folks requesting home hospitality will have the opportunity to sign up on this form. Click here to pre-register:
We encourage you to complete the registration form on the White Privilege Conference website as soon as possible because completing the FGC pre-registration does not reserve you a spot at the Conference. Your spot at WPC18 will only be confirmed after you complete registration on their website. The White Privilege Conference registration can be found here: http://www.whiteprivilegeconference.com/registration.html
If you have questions please contact FGC Ministry on Racism folks:
Vanessa Julye at 215-561-1700 x 3066 or email@example.com
Lena Glickman at 215-561-1700 x 3022 or firstname.lastname@example.org